San Clemente Beach Trail / State Parking Hiking Trail Overview:
San Clemente is an iconic surfing community featuring several surf landmarks – including Trestles, T-Street, the Pier, North Beach, and Poche Beach. Although it’s home to endless waves, the pier is one of San Clemente’s reels that continues to attract toursts and locals alike. In addition to featuring two seafood restaurants, the pier offers plenty of benches that overlook the ocean waters – perfect for the weiry hiker!
The San Clemente beach trail has become a common path for runners, walkers, and even dogs. Guests can enjoy its fresh ocean air and majestic views any day of the week! Please note, this beach trail follows along the Amtrak train tracks, so when the trains pass, it can get quite loud. Be sure to wave at the train passengers!
Length: 3-4 miles (out and back).
This is an excellent hike for any beginner hiker. It’s flat, scenic, and still a good work-out! The trail is about 4 miles roundtrip from the pier to Calafia Beach and back. The distance is enough to get your heart pumping – especially during the summertime when the weather can get quite warm!
San Clemente State Park Hiking Trail – San Clemente Hike Trail Map:
View San Clemente State Park Hiking Trail in a larger map
Directions to Peters Canyon Regional Park (address for GPS): 611 Avenida Victoria, San Clemente, CA 92672
From the Los Angeles/North Orange County Area:
- 1-5 S toward San Diego
- Take the Ave Palizada exit toward San Clemente
- Turn right on E Avenida Palizada
- Turn left onto E Avenida Palizada
- Turn left onto N Calle Seville
- Take the 2nd right onto Avendida Del Mar
- Continue to Pier parking area
From the San Diego Area:
- 1-5 North towards Los Angeles
- Take the Avenida Presidio exit toward San Clemente
- Turn left onto Avenida Presidio
- Turn right onto S El Camino Real
- Take the 3rd left onto Avenida Del Mar
- Continue onto Avenida Victoria
What to Bring:
- Barry-the-Bear: “The San Clemente Beach Trail was my kind of hike – flat and scenic with gorgeous weather! It look me about 1 hour and 15 minutes to go its 4-mile distance, and afterwards, I brought my towel and chilled on the beach!”
- Larry-the-Lion: “This was a very flat hike, but it still worked up a sweat for me. I walked a pretty fast pace, and did lunges when I got to the pier. Cool hike!”
- Chris-the-Cheetah: “I modified the intensity of this hike by running its 4-mile distance. It took me about 40 minutes, and afterwards, I went to Fisherman’s on the pier for a cool beverage! Yeah bro!”
Like to Hike? Connect with us on Facebook for additional hiking resources.
LEAVE a comment below and share a hiking experience with The Go Hike It community!